History Print E-mail

The 'Caley' as The Caledonian Hotel is popularly known, offers the traveller or holidaymaker a warm welcome to the village of Beauly.

 

The Caledonian hotel, Beauly

The 'Caley' traces its roots back almost 300 years as a coaching inn well placed near the old stock ford of Ross, and also acting as the hub of drove roads to Inverness from the Black Isle and the straths and the glens, for the drovers who sold their cattle in the village square.

 

Beauly, the seat of the Chief of the Clan Fraser - 'Macshimid' in the Gaelic. The origins of the village lie steeped in antiquity with several Pictish vitrified forts around the perimeter of the ruined Valliscaullian Priory founded by Sir John Basset of Lovat in the year 1230. Mary Queen of Scots, on looking out of her window, gave Beauly its present name, exclaiming 'Quel beau lieu'. It is a beautiful place indeed, having won four national awards in the 'Britain in Bloom' Competition and running for European glory from 1991.